Wednesday 17 November 2010

Beyond the Dreams of Licourice

... So: one and a half pounds on.

Bugger!

I'm unsure as to what I did wrong as everything was religiously pointed, but I'm going to wait and give the system another week and see if the weight starts going in the right direction again. Other people at the meeting had lost 3, 4 or 5 (and someone at another meeting in the local area had apparently lost 13) pounds all in one week. Such dramatic weighloss seems beyond the dreams of avarice (or should that be licourice?) at the moment!

I stayed for the meeting again and this week a second "going over"of the basics of Pro-Points seemed to sink in more. It is, as our leader said, a big sea change - not so much for me, but for people who were on the old points system for years and years and thought they could portion and point just by looking at something - and everything still needs to settle down. Even the "Weightwatchers" magazine is still based around the old version of the Points system (apart from copies sold at the meetings, which have both) and the full roll out isn't until January - when the Weightwatchers lines grow long with those who overindulged in front of "Doctor Who" and "It's a Wonderful Life" during the festivities!


Anyway, this is all getting a bit technical. I just wanted to say that Deirdre and I were both very touched and pleased with the messages of support and good wishes that were posted to both this blog and our Facebooks after Monday night's Panorama. And as you can see from some of the various comments posted below some of our previous posts, many people have many different ways of achieving a weighloss goal.

In fact, there seems to be as many ways of losing weight as there are overweight people. And I do wonder if the reason for this is that total abstincence - the ultimate aim in most other addiction battles - is simply not an option with weightloss. "I haven't had a drink in five years" means you are tackling your alcoholism. "I haven't eaten for five years" means you are talking via a ouija board. The impossibility of food cold turkey (but not cold turkey food), means that all kinds measures and restrictions and diets fill the gap.

And talking of filling gaps, I'm off to have my lunch. Properly Propointed, of course!

9 comments:

  1. It's certainly possible to go cold turkey on sugar (and all it's -ose cousins).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooooh, to indulge while watching 'Doctor Who'! Close to heaven. I suppose it is possible to eat all of one's points at once.
    Do you have some sort of exercise in your life, John? I found that that helped during those times the weight I lost found me again. I had to walk faster and farther to keep it from peeking out from behind the bushes and saying 'boo'.
    I enjoy reading your writing. Do you write about anything but diet struggles?

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Anonymous - I went cold turkey on sugar (if not the -ose cousins) back in 2009 when I was diagnosed with diabetes for two months ... I still only have it in naturally occuring fruit form, but I am too fond of the artificial sweetners

    @Doc Anne - Under normal circumstances, no, I do very little exercise. I need to get that sorted out - but I have to make sure it's compatible with my heart condition. At this moment, Deirdre and I are heavily involved in our house renovation (boxing up stuff, moving it, etc) which certainly gives me some exercise, but probably of the wrong kind as it exhausts me within 30 minutes.

    As far as writing is concerned, yup, I've been a frustrated writer all my life, having had only the odd moment when something's been published or I've stuck to actually really working out an idea. I do a creative writing evening class at the moment, which is proving beneficial - but I do think that my lack of direction in that area has somewhat contributed to my weight gain; I get frustrated and I eat a Galaxy Ripple!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah - fructose, the evil twin !

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi there,

    I wanted to write and say that I saw you both on the T.V the other night and I really hope you achieve in turning your situation around. I live with degenetive illness (Multiple Sclerosis) that restricts my walking and impacts on my life heavily and it upsets me that you may give yourself these restrictions in the future. I would do anything to have my health and to be able to lead an active life.

    I would hate either of you to be stricken with an illness that would make your journey harder and I wish you all the best in the future.

    Good Luck

    ReplyDelete
  6. Boyo, do I hear you on the frustration issue. There is the REWARD issue too, where when you do get a page or two finished and they look good, you reward with a wee treat.
    I have a heart condition, too. Check with your docs to see if walking would be okay. I do try to walk several blocks to a mile when the weather cooperates. I always listen to the ticker, though. I do have an implanted cardioverter, so if I fall over in the street, hopefully that will bring me back. It's worked so far.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Re cold turkey - I have found that I cannot reduce the things I like so I have had to cut them out. I have cut out dairy, bread, cake, potato, pasta, rice. I am replacing pasta/rice with green beans. So far I have lost one stone. Two stone to go. I am taking supplements to make sure I'm not missing out. I am not eating fruit due to the sugar content but am eating lots of veggies - e.g bolognese made with chopped onion, carrot, frozen peas, sweet corn, red peppers, broccoli and a small amount of lean mince - yum.


    I have two really strict days in the week and one evening on the weekend where I don't go crazy but I'll not beat myself up if I let go a bit.

    Best wishes for your diet journey.

    Jenn

    PS I'm sure I read somewhere that artificial sweeteners make you hungry.

    ReplyDelete
  8. "I haven't had a drink in five years" means you are tackling your alcoholism. "I haven't eaten for five years" means you are talking via a ouija board. Class. Very funny

    ReplyDelete
  9. Jenn - well done on losing a stone and best of luck for the next two! Have you tried spaghetti squash as a pasta substitute? Or using a spiraliser to make spaghetti out of courgette? Always meant to try those ideas.

    Miss Haversham - he is funny isn't he?! I think so anyway :-)

    ReplyDelete