Saturday 30 October 2010

The Background Growl ...


So, it's been a week since I started doing Weightwatchers properly, and what have I learned? Well, first of all, their e-source service is fine if you always have access to a switched-on PC. If not, then if you're anything like me (deeply lazy and not wanting to faff about with paper and calculators) you'll be powering up the laptop every time you want to record anything more than a Rich Tea. And the temptation to then while away an idle hour surfing the web is something I've always found hard to resist ...! Why Weightwatchers clients in the States have access to a mobile phone app while we British customers are restricted to the (iPhone Safari browser unfriendly) WW.co.uk website is a bit of mystery to me. It's not like WW is a charity or anything - I pay them £20 a month. And for nearly a quarter of a grand a year, I certainly think the phrase "we got an app for that!" isn't too much to ask for.

And the second thing I've learned is this: dieting does not necessarily mean your life no longer revolves around food. At the moment anyway, my pleasure in gluttony has been replaced by the (much more uncommon) thrill of losing weight. But I'm aware that this novelty could very soon wear off. Then there's this odd contradiction: whether dieting or morbidly obese with an over-eating problem, both ways of life lead to you constantly thinking about food.

So how do I stop this? Well, of course, it's a very healthy thing to be wondering about which vegetables to cook, planning future meals and menus, and point and calorie-counting everything. But there's a touch of the "Poacher Turned Gamekeeper" about it all (two food references in that one phrase, I notice!) and sometimes I'd just like to just be free of the whole damn business. I don't smoke, so I don't think about cigarettes. I drink about four pints a year, so I effectively don't think about alcohol much either.

Could I have a similar relationship with food? Well, for a start, let me say I realise I'm lucky to have any kind of choice in the matter at all: most of the human race can only dream of the quantities I (and you) consume every day. But an ability to enjoy the good things about food (a nice meal in a restaurant once in a while, for example) without diving into excess would see me halfway along the road back to full health.

Most importantly of all I want to finally silence the strange, all-permeating empty growl of hunger that swells within me from time to time. It's the sound (and feel) of an empty stomach - usually when no empty stomach is actually there. And it has slowly grown inside me again this week. After seven days of sticking to Weightwatchers, this growl is still not at a fairly high level, but I have an awful feeling that healthy homecooked meals will not placate it forever! And over the last two days especially it has just become very noticeably restless.

Maybe I'm just down today, and a short sharp shock of carbs will do the trick (I have, after all, "saved" weightwatchers points this week so far, for a later splurge at some point). We shall see.

My next WW meeting is on Wednesday. See you then!

4 comments:

  1. If you (like me) tend to obsessions, perhaps a partial answer is to distract oneself with an obsession about something non-food-related...?
    Of course, the question then becomes - 'what' - and is substituting one overriding set of thoughts for another any more healthy...?
    Answers on a postcard...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Blogging? That could be a good obsession!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Guys! - Just saw you on Panorama. Please, please do yourselves a favour and read Barry Groves 'Trick & Treat' - and when you don't know whether to believe this book or not, try Gary Taubes 'The Diet Deception'. You don't have to go hungry to lose weght....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Me too, haha, saw you on panorama and at first thought I really shouldn't bother but decided to help out anyway by giving you my 2 cents. As the previous poster mentioned and quickly scanning through a related article after googling diet deception" I think I have pretty much the same to say but a bit more. But I prefer watching TV than reading long articles.

    Fathead
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mNYlIcXynwE

    The oiling of America.
    http://www.demonoid.com/files/details/2427612/907924/

    ( the last video needs a torrentprogram for download)

    Basically it comes down to this: Before 1920 there were hardly no heartdiseases and people used a LOT of butter, ate a lot of eggs and meat. After 1920 vegetable oils were introduced and in 1977 the McGovern Senate committee issued a Guideline for Diet for Americans which states what we now believe to be true: low-fat, low-cholesterol high carbs diets are healthy. But at the time a lot of doctors testified in front of the committee of the ridiculous nature of that hypothesis ( lipid hypo- now widely accepted) among which the 'grandfather' of open-heart surgery Dr. Zuhdi who stated that he saw the opposite to be true in his practice, high saturated fat consumption resulted in lower deaths. You also have to realise the difference between fats
    1: animal fat = healthy
    2: transfats = oil which acts like butter ( so turns solid at room temperature) cheap replacement in cookies for butter. ( blocks hormones so it prevents cells from regenerating, thats why I have told my dad to eat only products with butter and meat)
    3: unsaturated fats= vegetable oils ( produces free radicals so it kills cells)

    I leave it up to yourselves to decide what road to go on after watching both videos, they both tell you about the 2 sides of this sad obesity story, but yuo should realise that this is NOT our fault. I simply didn't know that what I ate was so bad. Years and years I spent on diets only to stop on Saturday and eating whole pizzas and drinking liters of cola and starting hungering myself again on Mondays...How many miles I have walked on that stupid treadmill.. I have told my mother to stop taking her cholesterol medicine ( for women high cholesterol is actually healthy) and for my dad suffering from bad smokers lungs, I told him to eat a LOT of saturated fats: i.e. animal fat= butter and steaks, bacon eggs etc. The whole story is way too long to put just in a mere comment but my whole family is onboard with me and they take a LOT of scientific evidence to convince ( Dad is a scientist hydrotechnical engineer Mum's a nurse) and ever since I started to eat whole cuts of meats ( so no sausages) and butter and eggs and bacon with vegetables I have been losing weight rapidly and on the plus side I have been feeling really well as well because my cholesterol has risen probably over 250 haha! (Low cholesterol below 200 causes depression.)

    I urge you to take a chance and have a look at the videos and finally feel good about eating and yourself!

    If you want you can ask me questions at r3alist@gmail.com

    From a long time suffering obesity recovering finally normal and happy dude!

    ReplyDelete