Saturday 14 March 2009

Is it safe to eat...?

First - a quick update. We both had a bad result at weigh-in on Monday. I put on two pounds. Current weight 14 stone 2 pounds. J was very down before we even went in and almost decided to drive home and come and get me afterwards. But he stuck with it, stayed for the talk and has thrown himself into cooking and meal planning this week. Which brings me to... the freezer is full of frozen vegetables, some of which J regards with some suspicion. Packages of frozen mushrooms in particular. I've been expecting them to turn up at breakfast or in spag bol, but so far, they've stayed in the bottom drawer. So, I found this gem of a site which will hopefully convince him that they're safe:

http://www.stilltasty.com


So our poor mushrooms might not be as tasty as when they were first picked, but they should be pefectly safe. Except... they were wild mushrooms picked from the park outside our house, which also makes him suspicious. Time to get him to read this:



This was a staple in our house since my grandfather used to take us out looking for mushrooms and brambles back in the seventies. It might be an Italian-influenced thing - see this profile of Elish Angiolini (scroll down to see her list of interests!). I can particularly recommend the Collins Gem edition - it's pocket sized for taking on long walks. And you probably know the score - if you buy it from this link we get about 30p towards my Weight Watchers fees...

Wish us luck for Monday.

No comments:

Post a Comment