Sunday 8 March 2009

The 300 Days War (by J)

Between my birthday and the end of the year is exactly 300 days (or 298 days from now, to be exact). In that 300 days I want to lose six, maybe seven, stones in weight - averaging out at 2 pounds a week (which, by lucky coincidence, is the weight loss rate advocated by Weightwatchers). Of course, the problem is - achieving it.

I've been at Weightwatchers now for three weeks, and have learned the hard way that buying the products (ignoring the fact that some of them look suspiciously like scaled down Double Deckers) and flipping hopefully through the magazine at the post weigh-in meeting is not enough. Planning meals, learning to cook (something I managed to avoid back in the last century), choosing quality ingredients, and slowly turning away from the Old Ways of carry outs and Pringles on the couch, would seem to be a far better path. Although, of course, it has two big drawbacks - (1) some weeks it doesn't work, which can be soul-destroying, and (2) when it does work, it can make you smug. But on the whole, I'd rather be smug than morbidly obese.

I make no apology: if this weightloss works, I'm going to be crowing bigheadedly for years. But at least it'll only be above the neck that is big.

No comments:

Post a Comment